Louisiana Poultry Fanciers Forum

Welcome guest, please
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coop Substrate  (Read 32666 times)

Offline TanksMom

• Global Moderator
  • Pullet/Cockerel
Coop Substrate
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
In my big coop which houses 8 hens and 1 rooster (production layers), I use pine shavings.  Since I live practically in a swamp down here in southeast Louisiana, the ground can get pretty wet after a heavy rain.  I'm trying to figure out what the best substrate would be to help keep it a bit drier and cleaner for my ladies because when it rains, it is a mucky mess out there!

Right now they have a VERY generous amount of pine shavings on the ground.  I usually lime the area at least twice a year.  They do have a fairly large area under the coop where they can get out of the rain but it will still get soaked at times if the rain is blowing in sideways or we have a lot of rainfall.

So, what's the best way to get them a less mucky environment?  Sand, gravel, shavings, hay?  I'd love to hear what works for everyone.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dee

Offline NanaChicken

• Administrator
  • Hen/Rooster
Re: Coop Substrate
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »
I vote for sand.
~*~Lisa~*~

Offline ittybitty

• Pullet/Cockerel
    • itty bitty dowden family farm
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »
a layer of rocks with sand poured on top of the rocks
my kids and i raise bantam chickens and ducks and we will soon be raising olive eggers and polish. we also show our chickens and ducks in shows and enjoy raising them.

Offline Peep Peep

• Just Hatched
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
I am eventually going to put sand.  Right now I am putting the free pine straw laying everywhere on my property.

Facebook Comments

anything